Wednesday, February 12, 2014

"Pay It Forward"

"Winter Night Moon" photo by Pheralyn Dove

Be blessed, so you can
be a blessing. There’s someone
out there who needs you.

Do you ever stop to appreciate all your life’s good fortunes? Ever pause during the course of your day and realize that you are lucky and gifted and talented and accomplished in so many ways it would be difficult to count them all? Do you ever admit to yourself how pampered your life is compared to so many less fortunate others?

I know it’s easy to get caught up in the mix of our daily routines and doldrums. But don’t forget we are all here on earth for a reason. I am convinced the noble calling of our existence involves making the world a better place. A good part of that calling involves helping others. Throughout the pages of this blog, and in my personal life I am forever harping on finding your passions and doing what you love. Magically when we concentrate on being our best selves, we outflow our divine inspiration, and find we have come to the aid of others.

The other day I ran into my friend Yahimba at the supermarket. I was rushing, but she stopped me, said wait a minute, she had something for me. She reached down and handed me a flyer about a life skills and esteem-building workshop shop series she’s starting for young women, ages 12-19. I quickly skimmed the notice and thought, “Oh this is nice,” then neatly folded the piece of paper away in my bag. I gave Yahimba a quick hug and hurried along my way.   

Later that evening, as I was cleaning out my purse, I came across the flyer again. This time I carefully read it over. I soon realized this was more than a workshop my friend was organizing. It was a call to action. “We are our sisters’ keepers,” she wrote. I turned to face my computer, summoned Yahimba’s email address and answered with a confirmation:

“Peace Mama Yahimba! How you be Sister Girl? Great seeing you today! Thanks for sharing the flyer about your new venture. I am willing to volunteer to teach a writing lesson (or two) during the course of the series. Keep me posted.”

Writing and teaching writing are gifts that come to me naturally. The least I can do is share my gifts with young sisters in my own community who could use the extra care I am able to provide. How can you use your skills to help someone in need? Will you take the time to pay it forward? I hope you find it in your heart to send someone a gift of your love today.

Asante Sana. Peace and Blessings Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts on today's post? I'd love to hear them. Thanks!