Thursday, February 26, 2015

My First Photo Exhibit Opens March 2nd

"Lovely Lilies" Pheralyn Dove Image
Flora, Fauna and
Vistas on Stunning Display:
"The Art of Nature." 


Event:                 “The Art of Nature:  A Photographic Exhibit by Pheralyn Dove”
Dates:                 March 2- 31 2015; Opening Reception, March 2, 2015, 5-7 p.m.
Place:                  Gold Standard Café, 4800 Baltimore Ave., Philadelphia, 19143


 “The Art of Nature” is my very first photographic exhibit. It will be on view throughout the month of March at the Gold Standard Café in West Philadelphia. I am honored to have this opportunity to present my digital images to the public. The work includes a “Pink Sunrise” I witnessed in my Overbrook neighborhood, an exquisite “Orange Sunset” that fell over my shoulders while vacationing at Newport Beach in Orange County, California, a neon yellow chrysanthemum in full bloom that evokes the feeling of “Brighter Days Ahead,” and the petals of a snow-white peony blowing in the wind.  I call this piece “Ancestral Crossing.” With the drop of each petal, the flower is getting closer and closer to crossing over into the next realm with the ancestors. 



I was born and raised in Philadelphia and have lived here my entire life save for the four years I spent at Hampton University in Virginia acquiring my bachelor’s degree in mass media arts. For most of my career, I have been known as a word-warrior. Spitting, spewing, huffing and puffing pages upon pages of thoughts and themes. I traveled to Bahia, Brazil to research their culture’s proliferation of African retentions. My writing took me to the commemoration of the 100th anniversary of writer Richard Wright’s birth at his “Centennial Celebration” in Paris, France.  My performance art has taken me to Jazz al la Villette, also in Paris, as well as the Vision Festival in New York City and the Kimmel Center in my beloved Philadelphia. For my book of poetry, “Color in Motion,” I am humbled to say the legendary drummer Max Roach wrote the foreword. Words define my multi-media work in performance pieces such as “Little Girl Blue,” a one-woman show in which I portray 17 characters about a Black woman’s journey from victim to victor. However the visual arts also beckon. I love making sculptures out of sticks, twigs and branches - and I have always made collages. In recent years, I have returned to my photography practice, which I first discovered as a teenager at Germantown High School.   Coming back to my origins feels good.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts on today's post? I'd love to hear them. Thanks!